The first prototype was an epic fail; I used black flecked yarn and it looked like something Jason of the Argonauts might be sailing the high seas in! The body was much longer in proportion to the head and tail and was just horrible.
I gave it another go and was much more pleased with Buffy, the Buff Orpington ami chicken. This time I used Red Heart yarn in Buff color (hence the name). I quickly wrote up the pattern and published it this evening, which you can find here.
There's a photo tutorial that goes with it so you can see what I mean when I say turn it this way or that way during various steps in the pattern. I think I did ok for my very first attempt at an ami critter, but I hope it all makes sense to someone besides me!