November 9, 2008

Crochet Afghans to Donate to Veterans

Finally!

I've been working on these two projects for some time and finally dragged them out to finish up. I only needed to weave in a few ends on the ripple, but I had a few rows to finish on the other. Since I ran out of a color and had to buy more, of course I started on other projects in between (I'm sure everyone knows how THAT goes) and got a bit sidetracked.

As of this morning, they are both DONE and I hope to take them out to my local VA hospital soon, along with the lapghan that I posted about previously for a wheelchair-bound veteran.

(All images are clickable)


The ripple afghan is a variation of SusanB's Easy Ripple, but I work mine in BLO and of course vary the number of rows to make a wider stripe. I absolutely love this ripple pattern and have used it many times, and no doubt will again.


I can't remember where I found this other pattern, but it is a simple sc/dc/tr across the row, ending with tr, and doing the same on the next row. When you turn and start again, the sc ends up on top of the tr, the dc on top of the dc, and the tr on top of the sc, so it all comes out even at the top. Very simple, but in order for each stitch to show nicely, it is done with one row per color, so there are quite a few ends to deal with. Small price to pay for such a pretty pattern, though, in my opinion.















I think the colors I chose are nice, without being 'girly'. Not quite camouflaged, but definitely a close color scheme. I'm sure there are veterans on the ward in the VA hospital that will appreciate them, regardless of color. The beds have only stark white sheets with no blankets, and I'm hopeful that the bit of color will add a little brightness to their day.

2 comments:

  1. I know you said you didn't know where you found the pattern for the second afghan... but do you think you could share a bit more? Starting chain? You tie off each row and work with front facing?

    BTW - like your blog name. I had a blog here on blogger years ago named the same and then last year stopped blogging. I've since resumed blogging with the same name too. :-) I'm also Everday Crochet at Crochetville.

    Blessings,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to give it a try this weekend and see how it turns out. Thanks again for lightening my picture.

    Blessings,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete