February 15, 2010

Completed Hurdle in Crochet Olympics

With the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver well underway, it's time for an update on my own crochet project for the Crochet Games of Ancient Greece.

As posted earlier, I don't do well with anything that isn't a plain square or rectangle, so a challenge for me is a crochet project that includes the increasing, decreasing, and arms of a baby sweater.

The first day I was a winner all the way around, as I got the whole body of the baby sweater completed with little trouble. It was almost too easy, and I was ashamed to post that I was doing so well when the Olympics had only just started.

I spoke too soon.

I started in on the arms of the sweater and it looked like I had a few extra stitches somewhere. I counted again and again and up to that point all of my stitches were the exact count that each pattern row mentioned, so I couldn't figure out where the miscalculation could be. I tried both sleeves with the same results, and frogged and started over several times.


I put it away for the night and started in again fresh yesterday. I tried one more thing and it seemed to work out ok, so I finished the sleeve and prayed that I could duplicate the effort with the second sleeve.


Thankfully, it worked out and both sides of the sweater are identical (so even if I did something wrong, at least it looks the same)



The collar was the last hurdle and I sailed over that easily for a nice finish to my first Olympic Games.



Here's the original photo with Dot Matthews' pattern:


I think mine looks pretty close, so I'm happy with it.

I still feel badly that I completed my Crochet Olympics project so early in the Games, so I'm going to add a baby blanket to the mix. I'll probably post about that one on WIP Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. It's darling! Love the color you picked too! Congrats on conquering a new skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you!!! Way to go, it turned out wonderfully!

    ((Big Hugs))
    Anita, a Knitting Junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great!! I'm proud of you! You can share that pattern with me and I'll see about tackling that next time I need a project for a baby. I've never tried anything more than a hat, booties or some fingerless mittens because I also don't do well with something like sleeves that need to match and fit well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very pretty. I love the stitch in the body and arms.

    ReplyDelete