April 20, 2011

Can You Crochet a Quilt?

A true quilt is two pieces of fabric with some sort of batting or other filler between them, which is then stitched through to hold it all in place.  A patchwork quilt is made up of fabric squares sewn together and then quilted (stitched through batting and backing), but a quilt can be made with solid pieces of fabric as well.

It would probably be difficult to crochet a true quilt that is stitched through, as crochet pieces normally aren't made with a backing, but you could crochet blocks and sew them together in patchwork fashion to resemble a pieced quilt.  That wouldn't be a quilt in the strictest sense, but many people think quilt when they really mean patchwork, so if it's the look you're going for as opposed to the actually quilting process, you certainly can crochet one.

This lovely Patches Crochet Quilt is made up of many small squares in four colors perfect for fall cuddling, but I think it would be equally as pretty in pastels. The Baby Blocks Crochet Quilt shows two different variations, with and without solid blocks. What new parent wouldn't love such a gift for their new baby?

I've never made a quilt before, either crochet or fabric quilted piece, but I've often thought of making a tied quilt, maybe baby-sized as a first project.  Some day ...



Oops, almost forget.  Do you love Amish quilts?  Don't miss my post about an Amish quilt giveaway on Marie Anne's Missives

5 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things in the world is a crocheted patchwork blanket that my mom made for me when I was a child. Each piece has a flower in the center and it's in the colors that I liked at that age. I still use it on a regular basis and my grandkids love to snuggle up in it. :O)

    My A-Z Blogging “Q” post is right here: http://www.word-nerd-speaks.com/2011/04/quest-for-quiet-quickie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made crocheted patchwork "quilts". They're time-consuming, but fun to make and beautful! :)

    I'm also blogging through the A to Z Challenge:
    Haiku Corner
    Stay Calm And Carry On

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quilted alot when I was a preteen. I spent some time with my grandmother one summer and she taught me to quilt. Your post makes me think I should put my hand to it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a beautiful afghan once with all the squares attached. I didn't attach them properly though, so the whole thing fell apart and the people I made it for threw it away. Taught me a valuable lesson – learn how to fasten the squares together better. My current A-Z Challenge blog is http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/2011/04/reading-les-miserable.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. They taught us how to crochet back in elementary school. Now I've forgotten how to.:P
    Great meeting you through the A-Z!
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete