September 22, 2012

Baby Hat Day

With my first grandbaby on the way in November, I'm anxious to crochet some cute things for her (yes, she's a she!).  Baby blankets are a given as I have several different patterns that I like to crochet so she'll get more than one, I'm sure.  I'm hopeless at booties, and have only made one halfway decent baby sweater, so I thought I'd look to hats.

I made this little hat this morning out of Aran Fleck yarn, weaving a chain of black yarn that's then tied into a bow at the brim.  It's one of Bev's simple patterns and I could make a number of them from the leftover yarn I have in my stash, but my concern is sizing.  The finished measurements of this baby hat seems to be in line with charts I've seen, but I'd feel a lot better if I had an infant model to try them on.  I'd hate to send my son and his wife a half dozen hats in various colors and have none of them fit, ya know?

Do you have a favorite baby hat pattern that you know works out well for a newborn baby, and up to a few months old?  I'll be looking around at various pattern sites, but if you have a personal favorite, please leave a link in the comments and I'll check it out.

~ Marie Anne

5 comments:

  1. That hat is adorable and kind of chic, Marie Anne. Hope it fits her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest baby hat I have seen! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Infant head sizes range from around 12-15 inches. So I think if you go with 15, she will get through the winter. Adorable hat, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. Take the baby hat down to your nearest maternity ward and have one of the nurses try it on a baby. If it fits, let the baby keep it and there will be your answer.

    ReplyDelete