December 29, 2013

Easy Doily Pattern for My First Project

I've never been very successful when working with thread crochet, but recently decided to try out filet crochet and realized it wasn't as hard as it looked.  I'm still perfecting that, but decided since I had tiny hooks and thread out, I'd try making a simple doily.

I made one doily decades ago and it turned out ok, then made a second one and it didn't work out quite as well.  I don't know what happened, but it was a completely different size.  I gave up after that, until yesterday.

I went searching for easy doily patterns to start with, and some that said they were for beginners still looked a bit daunting to me, but I found this Petite Pineapple Doily that didn't look too bad.  Mine came out larger and with larger holes in the piece itself because I didn't use the right size crochet hook, but I just wanted to see if I could do it and wasn't so much concerned about size and evenness of stitches.

My first doily in decades - Petite Pineapple Doily


I didn't have much trouble working this pattern, except got a little confused on the very last row.  In my defense, it was late at night and I'd been working on it off and on most of the day (did quite a bit of frogging when I noticed mistakes), so considering my state of mind and wrong hook size, I'm satisfied with how it turned out.  I still need to wash and block it, as this photo shows it straight off the hook.

I'm definitely going to be doing more crocheting with thread, and just this morning ordered a full set of hooks as a late Christmas present for myself. I think I've earned it!

Update:  I made a second doily and I'm pretty pleased with how they both turned out.  Click to see a photo of both doilies.


Do you enjoy working with thread, or are you all thumbs like I was for a long time? I'm going to be writing up some tips for working with small crochet hooks and thread, and also for doing filet crochet. Look at the top of the right sidebar to subscribe to my craft articles on Examiner, as I might publish some of the tips as articles there.

~ Marie Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment