October 1, 2016

Denim Rag Quilt, Coming Up!

I'm excited to get started on my next rag quilt, which will include some denim.  I had two pretty flower print fabrics from reclaimed clothing that were similar colors, and since both had blue in them, I thought recycled blue jeans would be perfect to pair with them.

Two pretty flowered fabrics reclaimed from scrubs!

I took samples of these two fabrics with me when I went gallivanting in town this morning, and I found another top with burgundy, and also a nice flowered denim midi skirt and another pair of jeans fairly cheap.  I found a light blue print that I'm undecided about, but will cut up a square or two of everything and see how it looks before making a final decision.  Not sure if I want to use both denims in this quilt or not either.  

I think I want to make a reversible quilt, where each square is the same on front and back, but that's going to depend on how many squares I get from each fabric that I have, and I'm going to commence cutting on the denim and burgundy as soon as they get out of the wash.  

Flowered fabric paired with light blue print,
flowered denim skirt, and blue jeans

These are 6 1/2" squares, but will be approximately 5 1/2" after ragging.  I'd like to make it big enough for a couch throw size rather than baby blanket, but that's also going to depend on the amount of squares I get out of all this.  I'm still fairly new to the whole quilting/rag quilting thing and this will be my first time working with denim, but I'm excited to get started on this project!  More pics to come in future posts as I get the jeans cut up and get my squares laid out for my cotton/denim rag quilt.  Stay tuned!

~ Marie Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment