April 27, 2018

Random Scrap Rag Quilt Plans

After a whirlwind of listing house, selling house, driving from Ohio to NC, spending a couple of weeks in a hotel with two dogs, finding house, and closing on house all in a span of less than 60 days, I'm finally starting to settle in a little.  There's still a lot to do, but the house is livable and functional, and the rest will come together in time.

I've been working on my office/craft room, and anxious to get back to sewing rag quilts. I think I have everything arranged in here where I have room for my eBay stuff as well as a table for my sewing machine.   I spent quite a bit of time yesterday sorting my small fabric stash, found a few pieces that I'll offer for sale, put yardage in gallon sized plastic bags, and made a pile of scraps and remnants worth saving for a random quilt project.



I hate waste, but I also don't want to hang on to stuff that I'll never use, so I have a plan, and that plan is to not follow a plan, so to speak.

When I work on a layout for a rag quilt, I spend a lot of time working on placement of colors, patterns, etc, and need it to be 'just right'.  In order to use up my stash of scraps, I'll have to abandon that plan.

My new plan is to cut squares whenever I have a remnant come available and sandwich right away and toss into a tote to be stitched with other squares as soon as I have a few.  I figure if I just grab and go, stitch together whatever few squares I have done, I won't be able to stress about whether colors or patterns are right for each other. 

I think I'll cut squares in two different sizes to get the most use out of scrap fabrics.  Hmm .... if I do that, I might even attempt a square-on-square quilt which would make the randomness even more interesting.

Women have been making random quilts from clothing scraps for generations, right?  Can I?  Will I be able throw caution to the wind and work through my love of order to pull off a truly random scrappy quilt?  Stay tuned for updates!

~ Marie Anne


No comments:

Post a Comment