January 7, 2014

The Right Crochet Hooks for the Job

I've recently started working with crochet thread, first with filet patterns and now making doilies.  I balked at it for years, but realized that I CAN do this if I go slow and pay attention. One thing that helps is the right tools.  I got several different size metal crochet hooks from a friend, but some of them weren't marked, so had no idea what sizes they really were.  Still, they helped me practice using the small steel hooks, which I wasn't used to working with.

Now that I have a couple of doilies under my belt, I decided it was time to purchase a set of small metal crochet hooks to work with, so I wouldn't have to worry about having the right size hook when I found a pattern that I wanted to try.  I bought this Boye Crochet Master Steel and Aluminum Crochet Hook Set on amazon so that I'd have a better chance of keeping track of them too, and not losing them every time I turned around (that doesn't happen to anyone else, right? LOL).

Set of Boye steel and aluminum crochet hooks, and ergonomic handle


I also bought this little gadget that's supposed to make it easier to grip and work with the small crochet hooks, but I haven't tried it yet.  One of the problems I have with working with the small steel crochet hooks is that the end of the hook pokes my palm, and it hurts!  I bought a single crochet hook a couple of weeks ago at my local Hobby Lobby that has the thicker handle on it and I really like that, but a whole set of those would be a pretty expensive investment.  I hope that this Boye Ergonomic Aluminum Crochet Hook Handle will take care of that problem for me.

What's even better about all this is that I use free amazon gift cards that I earn online, so I don't have to pay out of pocket for any of these things! How do I do that? One of the newest (and easiest) ways to earn amazon gift cards is through Chatabout, and you can redeem for cash via PayPal also.  You get 2 or 3 points for simple responses to posts, and only need 500 pts to redeem for $5 cash or gift card.  I earned  my first redemption the day I signed up, and got it the next day!  You also earn 20% of what your referrals earn, so get in on Chatabout now and refer all your friends before they sign up and snatch all the good referrals!


~ Marie Anne

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the handle! I haven't tried any of these ergonomic hooks yet, but I think I'm heading in that direction. I'm already having difficulty holding my knitting needles because of pain in my hands and wrists. I wonder what there is to help with that?

    ReplyDelete