November 13, 2014

The Crooked Yarn Takes a Turn Towards English Paper Piecing (EPP)

English Paper Piecing (EPP) is hand stitching fabric pieces using paper or card stock as templates. Because you're using small bits of fabric and don't need a sewing machine, this is a very portable craft that can be done most anywhere.

Let me start off by saying that I don't quilt (although it's something I've always wanted to learn), and I don't sew, except for the occasional button or loose hem, so this was a big step for me to try to learn English Paper Piecing (EPP).  A few friends at church are avid quilters, and one of them offered to show us what EPP was all about, and I was off and running.

She started us off with a large star that could be used as a wall hanging or table decoration, perhaps as a small centerpiece to display a candy dish or candle.  Mine is far from perfect, but I think I did ok for my very first piece, and now I'm hooked.

First EPP project - a Christmas star
©Marie Anne St. Jean

I had plenty of the owl and green fabric left for another EPP project, so I decided to make a Christmas tree.  I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to leave it as is with the tree entirely green with the owl as an angel tree topper, or add more owls in the tree itself.

EPP Christmas tree
©Marie Anne St. Jean

I think I like this version which leaves the tree open to adding other small embellishments as decorations.  I need to find some brown fabric to make the trunk, and then I'll be able to stitch this together.

I hope to continue learning more about English Paper Piecing and have more projects to share in the future.  If you'd like to learn more about EPP, keep an eye on this blog, and also make sure that you're subscribed to my Crafts column on Examiner, as I'll be publishing hints and tips about EPP there as well.

More to follow!

~ Marie Anne

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I have always enjoyed reading about your creative endeavors. I have also learned so much from you, MarieAnne. I miss our chats. Been too long. Hope all is well! xo

    ReplyDelete