April 26, 2019

Crochet Withdrawal, and Wanting to Try Something New

I haven't picked up a crochet hook in a month or more, and I think I'm going into withdrawal.  I had been crocheting dishcloths while watching TV and walking in place to get my steps in, but switched to reading books while walking figure 8s in the hotel room.  Hey, whatever works, right?  But while I love to read, it's not giving me any tangible results for my efforts, ya know?  I think I need to find balance.

I bought a cone of ecru cotton yarn a few weeks ago, intending to make some Swiffer-type cloths, but there it sits, with the paper wrapper still intact.  I do need to get that pattern written and published as it's not doing anyone any good filed away in my head.  Someone give me a push!

What prompted me to write this blog post, though, was a pattern for this pretty Gardenia Shawl I saw on Facebook this morning.  I haven't worked with thread in a bit because that requires sitting down and concentrating a little more than dishcloths (that I could likely do blindfolded) and I can't do that while walking in a hotel room.  I'm stuck sitting here so much that I need to find things that will allow me to keep moving in my limited living area (yes, I'm still displaced from Hurricane Florence, 7 1/2 months later).

Anyway, the pattern I saw this morning really caught my eye and I wondered if my fingers could manage to turn out something so pretty.  Looking further at the instructions and materials needed, I saw that it required Aunt Lydia's size 3 thread (usually used for apparel) which I'd never worked with before.  It also calls for a larger crochet hook (4mm/G) than one would normally use for thinner thread, as with doilies.

So now I'm tempted to see if any local stores carry the size thread needed to make this shawl, and give it a try.  What's the worst that can happen?  I spend a couple of bucks on a ball of thread that I won't use ... not a big deal.  I really do want to give this a good effort as I love the look of this shawl, and it would be perfect for church when I never know how warm or cool it will be in the sanctuary on any given day.  A lacy shawl would give just a bit of coverage if the air conditioning is a bit too much, but also flimsy enough to shrug off and set aside without taking up any room. And in the current spring season, sometimes it's still a bit chilly when I head out to church, but hot as blazes when coming out.  A lightweight shawl would take care of a couple of 'what to wear' dilemmas nicely.

Have you ever crocheted with size 3/apparel thread?  What did you make?  I'd love to hear about and see some of your projects!

~ Marie Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment